Hydrolatum - tried it

Posted by: CShell

Hydrolatum - tried it - 08/08/06 08:03 PM

This was a cream recommended by our derm. quite awhile ago, and we finally decided to try it out. I guess our initial reservations was that it's just petroleum based, so not all that different from Aquaphor or Vaseline. I ordered it off of hardtofindbrands.com, and got it in the mail yesterday. The ingredients are: hydrated petrolatum, purified water, sorbitan sesquioleate, and methylparaben.

I've got to say, I'm a bit impressed - first, b/c I can put it on her scalp without her hair getting all matted down and icky! It's pretty thick and sort of sticky, but gets absorbed really quickly. It's certainly no miracle cream, but I only creamed her up once yesterday with it (no Aquaphor, just Hydrolatum the second she got out of the bath) and I only had to do it once. She's peeled noticably less this morning, but not sure if that has to do with the cream or not, b/c her skin's been acting totally different for the past few weeks anyway.

It's actually *easier* for me when she peels a lot in the morning, easier to get the skin off lol So that's the only con I have to this cream, if it's in fact the cream that made her not peel a lot.

I think I'm going to try using some sort of mineral oil or something *first* and then then Hydrolatum on top of it.
Posted by: Angel24755

Re: Hydrolatum - tried it - 08/08/06 10:12 PM

I have only found a few products without some sort of "paraben" in it. Out of curiosity...do you plan on using this even with the paraben in it and the recent conversation of it causing cancer in the potty training thread? I just wondered because I am debating the same thing with the "Skin Milk" product that we started using a few days ago. Seems to be working well but at the same time it has a type of paraben in it. Not sure what we are going to do. (I swear if I see a form of paraben in one more product I am going to scream...I looked around the house today just out of curiosity and EVERY Bath and Body lotion I have has a paraben in it ARG!)
Lisa

Re: Hydrolatum - tried it - 08/08/06 10:28 PM

WOW, I had no idea! I actually didn't read the potty training thread, b/c Jules isn't potty training lol

We have an appointment with our derm. next week, so that's something I'll have to ask her about. Our derm. was who recommended it, actually, and she's *really* conservative with what she recommends (she said Vaseline for the first 6 months! lol) so IDK...

Re: Hydrolatum - tried it - 08/08/06 10:57 PM

If you wouldn't mind sharing what your derm has to say, I would love to hear her thoughts on the subject.
We bought a new cream last week called Skin Milk. It smells great and it seems to be making their skin softer as well. At the moment both of the kids are covered in white flakes which isn't normal for them. At the same time, they are softer (still dry but softer) and their lotion isn't getting sucked right into their skin like before. I don't know if it is the skin milk or the Aveeno Oatmeal lotion that I was starting to use for itching at night under the Aquaphor but something is making them flake and something is making them moist LOL. I am going to give it a little while because they seem softer. I am thinking that it might just be them getting rid of some dead skin with our new routine and I have high hopes that after a few weeks, the flakes will be gone and the end result will be softer skin. Wishfull thinking? Maybe LOL...but I am going to keep trying. I was going to stop and go back to our old routine when I saw them peeling like that but I talked myself into the old wait and see deal.
I used to cover them with Curel in the morning, touch up with Curel during the day and then Aquaphor at night. For the past week though I have been using the Curel in the morning, topping that off with the Skin Milk on top, touching up with Curel during the day, and then Aveeno covered by Aquaphor at night. I didn't take away anything I used to use...just added to it. I guess that is where my hopes of softer skin comes in!
The Skin Milk is up in the air right now though because of that paraben issue. I want to keep using it because I like it so much but at the same time, I would hate to put something on them that would cause cancer.
Another thing...I have been looking online at ingredients in a lot of common products that people have mentioned here and even Amlactin has a paraben in it.
Lisa
Posted by: gryphon

Re: Hydrolatum - tried it - 08/09/06 04:54 AM

I didn't mean to freak people out with the post in the potty-training thread [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

You'll literally go nuts trying to eliminate parabens from your home. It's in EVERYTHING. Being an inexpensive preservative, it is used in almost every shampoo, deoderant, toothpaste, shaving cream, body wash etc. that is on the store shelves. Here's just a sampling of products for methylparaben:
http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi...amp;prodcat=all

You'll find an even longer list of propylparaben. So abandon any ideas of having a paraben-free home if you do your shopping in a run-of-the-mill drugstore

I first started researching this in May so I've gotten over that panic stage. [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] Really one has to examine this with some balance, so read all the information from the search results on parabens and you'll see that there is no finding that parabens *cause* cancer. The bottom of the following link has some reputable sources commenting on this very fact.
http://www.ctfa.org.nz/information/antiperspirant/antiperspirant.html

For me however, it is only *lotions* that are a concern because I use so much of it when you combine my general lotions and specialty lotions (about 30 bottles per year). And lotions are completely absorbed into my body, not washed off like other products. So if I can find an *equally effective* paraben-free alternative to a paraben-containing lotion then I'll switch. But if not, it isn't worth switching from an effective lotion and sacrificing the quality of skin simply to avoid parabens. IMHO caring for ich skin takes precedence over avoiding parabens.

I was lucky. My three Dermal Therapy lotions don't contain parabens and nor does Cetaphil. However several lotions I was using earlier did, but they were just as effectively replaced by the ones I just mentioned. So if you have easy and equally effective alternatives to parabens then opt for them, otherwise I personally wouldn't fret about it.

But if your really want to switch try googling "no parabens lotion" or "paraben-free lotion" and going through those. Or shop on Australian or New Zealand sites (ie. Dermadrate or Dermaveen)...remember that prices are in local currency often.

Sorry for unduly worrying anyone, especially you Lisa.

BTW if ya'll weren't worried enough try googling the following: "mineral oil" skin toxins

[img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] Seriously though, you can't start pulling your hair about parabens, petroleum distillates (ie. mineral oil, petrolatum), propylene glycol or other contrversial ingredients in lotions. If you do, you will either have to accept drier ich skin or triple your lotion costs.

Re: Hydrolatum - tried it - 08/09/06 06:31 PM

Gryphon,
I found your post on Parabens interesting and informative. I greatly appriciated the information! However, you can't wave information around like that and then follow up by saying people shouldn't be worried.
The fact is that Parabens "might" cause cancer but there are no facts leading to 100% proof of this (I did my own research after your post...I never take anybody's word on anything LOL). I wasn't trying to eliminate Parabens from my home...perhaps you misunderstood what I was saying. I simply had a look around my home at all of the lotions and personal care products we were using to see if they contained parabens. I found that all of my Bath and Body Works products contained parabens as well as the Skin Milk that I bought for my children's skin care. I can't feel 100% comfortable using these products every day on my children if it could cause them harm in their future. My daughter is 2 and my son is 4. If I use skin milk on them every day for the next 20 years and then find out in 20 years that due to years of exposures to parabens in their lotions, they have cancer, it would be devastating. Just to clear this up, I DO NOT plan on tossing all of my Bath and Body Works lotions...I am sure I will buy more in the future too. I will let my kids use them once in a while as well. Do I want to put a lotion or a cream on my kids head to toe, every single day that has a paraben in it after you posted your original post on the possibility of it causing cancer...NO! Disappointed? Sure...I liked the products I found but I am not glued to them.
If every lotion had parabens in it, I would have no choice and of course I would still take care of my children's skin even though it had a risk. If I can buy things without parabens in it...you bet I will. If the Skin Milk was making their skin softer (which I think it was) but I can continue on without it then I certainly won't use it again. I will go out to Eckerd a bit later today (yet again) and search for a cream to go over top of their Curel in the morning without parabens. If I can't find one...oh well...we lasted four years with just Curel and Aquaphor. I will simply continue on with Curel, the new Aveeno with oatmeal that I bought, and their Aquaphor.
This morning we used their Curel lotion and passed on the Skin Milk...I liked it...sure...but it's not worth the risk IMO. After a lot of thought last night, I decided I wouldn't use it again. You yourself said you tossed a ton of your products because they contain parabens. I assure you...I am not freaking out. I am doing what I should be doing as a parent...I am looking out for my children who can't do it for themselves.
Again...thanks for the info.
Lisa

Re: Hydrolatum - tried it - 08/09/06 09:42 PM

Lisa,

I had originally intended to post what I did above in different words in the toilet-training thread. I personally felt that my words regarding parabens were too incendiary there. Perhaps I should have posted there to better balance my post in that thread.

Instead I decided to * lightheartedly * post in this thread instead. It was not addressed to, or even directed at you, rather I was addressing the fact that my words in my other post might make one unduly worried given the history of parabens and the amount of research that has been done since the 90’s. The EU, The American Cancer Society, Australian authorities, and many others have looked into this and have concluded that the risk is not significant, that there is no * conclusive * evidence that parabens are the cause of cancers, and that no action is needed on parabens in cosmetics. As such its use is pervasive in the industry. However there are some groups who remain unconvinced because of the lack of certainty you also mentioned. That’s what I wanted to express really because I thought the information I waved around in the first post didn’t reflect that. I was not dismissing or denigrating any of your feelings or conduct because I have felt and conducted myself in no way differently than you.

Certainly I, like you, am worried about the degree of paraben exposure given that a person with ich applies gallons of lotion a year. I have brought up the paraben issue in the past when another mother (Aylasmom) asked about lotion ingredients. The prolonged use over decades in the quantities we use is a legitimate and real concern especially when it’s started at a very young age. Heck I’ve been absorbing it in large quantities for some 30 years now so I’m worried. So, I was not being critical or condescending regarding your worry. I decided to follow the same course of action you did and have in all my posts on this subject suggested the same. If one can eliminate parabens from ich care then it is a wise and prudent decision. However, there are people with ich who rely on certain lotions to exfoliate or hydrate such Aqua-glycolic, lachydrin, or Eucerin. If there are no other lotions equal to the task then perhaps, based on current research findings, a radical change that will negatively impact the skin is not warranted.

I’m sure you’ll agree that tone is very difficult to transmit on a BB. I especially have a hard time doing it (I generally do not foster personal or social relationships through blackberries, text messages, or even email…I do all of that in person or on the phone). So I’m not as seasoned as some of you. I also tend to post-and-go with little proofreading or sober second thought to what I write. All that aside, I can see how my earlier words could be read as being something other than what I intended. I can also see now how, in the context, words like “freak people out” and my tone could be considered wholly inappropriate and even offensive.

I only mentioned you by name, Lisa, because I thought my one-sided paraben post caused your “Arg”. Now that I know otherwise I would not have even mentioned that apology line in last post.

I can assure you that I’m well aware that each and every one who participates in this particular forum is trying to do right by his or her kid(s). And, whenever I express my thoughts in this forum it is with the sole purpose of helping to further that parental endeavour. I don’t come here to pass judgement on yours or anyone else’s conduct, to personally denigrate anyone, or to compromise the well-being of anyone’s child(ren). I resent any insinuation that my views are to that effect. What I did was express my views on the paraben issue after researching it just as you have. I hold similar views about pesticide residues in lanolin, the petro-chemical and toxin-blocking issues of petrolatum or mineral oil, and the renal issues surrounding propylene glycol. But there again it is only my opinion, based on my research on those ingredients in lotions and my personal health. Everyone else should make a balanced decision based on his or her own personal circumstances and findings. Although I am not an academic expert on any of the topics generally expressed on this BB, what I do try to ensure is that any posts I make on this BB reflects the * entirety* of my personal knowledge and experience on a specific issue. My disjointed, double-threaded posting on parabens was not the best way of doing that. Anyway, I’m pleased you were able to make use of the information.

[This message has been edited by gryphon (edited August 09, 2006).]
Posted by: Curtise

Re: Hydrolatum - tried it - 08/09/06 10:58 PM

I've found all the information and discussion on the parabens issue really interesting, for which thanks mostly go to Gryphon. I'm trying to weigh up the costs and benefits of using creams with parabens in, and struggling to reach a conclusion, in part because Nina is only 7 months old and we are still getting to grips with what might be most effective for her skin out of the myriad of stuff available. It's really overwhelming. I too worry about the long term effects of using all these products in such vast quantities, and from such a young age. I'm as interested in the issues of using petrochemical-based stuff as well as the parabens.

However, we find ourselves, as individuals and parents, having to make these decisions, and I'm grateful for any help I can get in doing so. I'd like to start by getting an idea what all the ingredients in the lotions, etc, actually do; I read the list of names and haven't a clue what any of them are, as I merrily slap it all over my baby (well, actually not that merrily...)

Apart from googling them individually, any ideas of where to look for information? Gryphon, I'm hoping you may have a reference to help me here, you seem good at knowing where to find this information! Many thanks for the links you already listed.
Posted by: jds

Re: Hydrolatum - tried it - 08/10/06 12:24 AM

I have often wondered the same but do not have time at the moment with school startting up to research. Wouldn't it be great to have a place on this website that could list some of the ingredients with information about them? Just a thought.

Re: Hydrolatum - tried it - 08/10/06 04:01 AM

This is the email my derm. sent back to me. I'm going to send her the links listed in the potty training thread and see what she has to say.

Parabens is a preservative. It is in most moisturizing creams. It is known
to rarely cause a skin sensitivity allergy. I do not know of any
association with cancer associated with this preservative in mosturizers.
If you have seen something please send a link and I will check it out. If
there is a connection to cancer reported, I imagine it would be at a level
of exposure much larger than what is in creams (perhaps the level absorbed
by someone in a factory that produces the chemical would be a problem, for
example).

Re: Hydrolatum - tried it - 08/10/06 05:05 AM

I appreciate the acknowledgement Curtise but I sometimes wonder whether I'm wasting my time on this sort of thing. This board has been running for many years and there have been ich conferences since the early 80's, yet there has been no mention of the potential toxicity of ingredients in lotions because of the absorbed dosage levels of ich patients. I appear to have been the first one ever to bring the paraben issue up on this BB back in June in a thread called "infant skin care" even though it has been contraversial for over a decade. That's what makes me relunctant to appear as a lone voice in the desert. Also as Courtney just showed through her derm's email, either most doc's don't have a clue or it's just a huge brouhaha created by the natural/organic products industry that is not substiated through research.

Anyway in partial answer to yours and JDS question. Parabens have estrogen like qualities that some suspect may promote breast cancer growth. The EU report I linked above also found that its hormone-disruptive qualities can affect sperm count in men. The issue is whether the "safe" findings, which incidently do mention "safe concentrations", apply to the very high does absorbed by those with ich. I mentioned that I use 30 bottles/year of my specialty lotions in an above post, but I omitted that I also use about 20 bottles/year of Cetaphil. Usage can get much much higher for others depending on type, severity and climatic environment. Those are very high levels of exposure. But I have just not be able to find any reputable research to indicate a risk and apparently neither ich derms, ich organizations or anyone else really address it. If anyone can show me something then please do Hence my reluctance to fan flames. Its late and I have to get up again in 6 hours so its beddy-by time. But a site that lists the potential toxicity of cosmetics is a Canadian site called www.lesstoxicguide.ca

I have pasted an excerpt from the site below. It address the basic reasons for my mention of lanolin and propylene glycol. But the latter is in my specialty lotions as well as Imizazolidinyl Urea and Polysorbate 60. So absolute avoidance of potientially toxic ingredients is really hard. At some point you have to apply some balance and pick and choose what you can and can't avoid based on choice, skin quality and personal budget. Everything in ich care will carry some risks from the more tangible ones of retinoids use to the more abstract ones of lotion use. There is an article on the Skintherapyletter.com site that also indicates what many ingredients in lotions do. I have that on my laptop (not with me now). I'll post that later as well as short info on coal tar and petroleum distillates (I've got a bunch of bookmarked links on the laptop)

The pasted excerpt immediately follows:

Common Hazardous Ingredients in Personal Care Products

More than 5,000 ingredients are allowed for use in personal care products. Many are identified by government agencies as hazardous, but many others remain untested. Some ingredients with known health hazards are very common in personal care products, both conventional products and alternative ones. We are providing information on some of these common ingredients. In preparing this guide, we screened products and chose those which had the least amount of these hazardous chemicals for our Best and Good sections.

DEA, TEA, MEA - Diethanolamine (DEA), triethanolamine (TEA), and monoethanolamine (MEA) are hormone disruptors. They are also known to combine with nitrates to form cancer-causing nitrosamines. If a product contains nitrites (used as a preservative or present as a contaminant not listed on labels) a chemical reaction can occur either during manufacturing or after a product is made. There is no way to know which products contain nitrosamines because government does not require manufacturers to disclose this information on the label.
A 1997 study by the U.S. National Toxicology Program found that these compounds themselves might also be carcinogenic. Repeated skin application of DEA was found to cause liver and kidney damage in animals. The study also discovered that when absorbed through the skin, DEA accumulated in organs. TEA may also cause contact dermatitis in some individuals.

Dioxins - You won't find dioxin listed on any label. It's formed as an accidental by-product of some manufacturing processes using chlorine, especially paper bleaching and the creation of plastic. Dioxin is one of the most powerful carcinogens known and accumulates in body fat. Mainstream deodorants and anti-bacterial soaps are suspect. Chlorine bleached tissues, toilet paper and cotton balls can contain dioxin. Plastic bottles may leach dioxin into creams, shampoos and other products we use daily.

DMDM Hydantoin, Diazolidinyl Urea and Imidazolidinyl Urea - DMDM hydantoin, diazolidinyl urea and imidazolidinyl urea are preservatives that release formaldehyde. It is estimated that 20 per cent of people exposed to this chemical will experience an allergic reaction. Exposure to formaldehyde may cause joint pain, depression, headaches, chest pains, ear infections, chronic fatigue, dizziness and loss of sleep. In lab tests, formaldehyde has caused cancer and damaged DNA. Formaldehyde is a known sensitizer. Imidazolidinyl urea may cause contact dermatitis in some individuals.

FD&C Colours - Used extensively in personal care products, FD&C colours are made from coal. Coal tar colours have been found to cause cancer in animals and many people experience allergic reactions like skin irritation and contact dermatitis. They are listed as FD&C or D&C, followed by a colour and a number. Example: FD&C Red No. 6, or D&C Green No. 6.

Fragrance - Synthetic fragrance is the most common ingredient found in personal care products. "Fragrance on a label can indicate the presence of up to 4,000 separate ingredients. Most or all of them are synthetic. Symptoms reported to the FDA have included headaches, dizziness, rashes, skin discoloration, violent coughing and vomiting, and allergic skin irritation. Clinical observations by medical doctors have shown that exposure to fragrances can affect the central nervous system, causing depression, hyperactivity, irritability, inability to cope, and other behavioral changes." (Home Safe Home, Debra Lynn Dadd). Fragrance is a known trigger of asthma. Many of the compounds in fragrance are suspected or proven carcinogens. Phthalates in perfumes are known hormone disruptors. In 1989 the US National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health evaluated 2,983 fragrance chemicals for health effects. They identified 884 of them as toxic substances. The US Environmental Protection Agency found that 100% of perfumes contain toluene, which can cause liver, kidney and brain damage as well as damage to a developing fetus.

Lanolin - Lanolin is a common allergen and because of this has been replaced in many products. But there is another reason to be cautious about lanolin. Lanolin is derived from sheep’s wool. It may contain residues of insecticides into which sheep are dipped to control external parasites. These insecticides are fat-soluble. Dr. Samuel Epstein, chairman of the Cancer Prevention Coalition, says these chemicals are likely to migrate through the skin and into the bloodstream. However, some sheep producers now control parasites by injecting sheep with insecticides, which work by circulating through the animal’s bloodstream. The best way to know if the lanolin in a personal care product is free of insecticide is to look for a certified organic product. Uncontaminated lanolin is perfectly safe, although it can cause contact dermatitis in some people. Lanolin oil, a more refined product, has been found to have little insecticide residue. Purified lanolin oil is a healthy product, as long as you aren't allergic to it.

Lead - Lead is a known carcinogen and hormone disruptor. It is readily absorbed through the skin, and accumulates in the bones. It causes neurological damage and behaviour abnormalities, and large accumulations can result in leg cramps, muscle weakness, numbness and depression. Lead is found in some hair dyes.

Nonylphenols - This estrogen-mimicking chemical is a surfactant used for its detergent properties. It can be found in some plastics, as well as shaving creams, shampoos and hair colours. It can be created when certain chemicals commonly found in personal care products break down. Nonylphenols can be a component in polyvinyl chloride (PVC), a compound often found in acrylic nails. They are persistent in the environment and of such concern that many European countries are phasing them out. Some manufacturers have voluntarily discontinued their use.

Parabens - An estrogen mimic, parabens are preservatives with antibacterial properties. Widely used in all kinds of personal care products, paraben is usually preceded by the prefixes methyl-, ethyl-, butyl-, or propyl-. Parabens can cause allergic reactions or contact dermatitis in some people. Preservatives are one of the leading causes of contact dermatitis. There are safer practical alternatives to parabens, including vitamin E, vitamin C and grapefruit seed extract.

PEG - Polyethylene glycol (PEG) is used in cleaners and some oven cleaners to dissolve oil and grease. It can also be found in many personal care products. PEG may be contaminated with 1,4-dioxane, a carcinogen. Dioxane readily penetrates the skin. While dioxane can be removed from products easily and economically by vacuum stripping during the manufacturing process, there is no way to determine which products have undergone this process. Labels are not required to list this information.

Phenylenediamine - Used in permanent hair dyes, phenylenediamine can cause eczema, bronchial asthma, gastritis, skin irritation and even death. It is also a carcinogen. It can react with other chemicals to cause photosensitivity. The US Food and Drug Administration proposed legislation which would have required warning labels on products, advising that this ingredient can penetrate skin and has been determined to cause cancer in lab animals. If passed, beauty salons would have had to post warnings for their customers. Cosmetic industry lobbyists defeated the proposal.

Phthalates - Everyone in the general population is exposed to phthalates from one source or another. They are found in many products from plastics to shampoo. These hormone-disrupting chemicals are suspected of contaminating breast milk and causing damage to the kidneys, liver, lungs and reproductive organs. One type of phthalate, diethyl phthalate (DEP) is commonly found in fragrances and other personal care products. Phthalates are used to enhance fragrances, as solvents, and to denature alcohol. A study published in Environmental Health Perspectives (December 2002) found that DEP is damaging to the DNA of sperm in adult men at current levels of exposure. DNA damage to sperm can lead to infertility and may also be linked to miscarriages, birth defects, infertility and cancer in offspring. DEP is the phthalate found in the highest levels in humans. Recent product tests found the chemical in every fragrance tested in the United States. Manufacturers are not required to list phthalates on product labels, so they are difficult to avoid.

Polysorbate 60 and Polysorbate 80 - Polysorbate 60 and polysorbate 80 may be contaminated with 1,4-dioxane, a carcinogen. Dioxane readily penetrates the skin. While dioxane can be removed from products easily and economically by vacuum stripping during the manufacturing process, there is no way to determine which products have undergone this process. Labels are not required to list this information.

Propylene Glycol - Propylene glycol is recognized as a neurotoxin by the National Institute for Occupational Health and Safety in the U.S. It is known to cause contact dermatitis, kidney damage and liver abnormalities. It is widely used as a moisture-carrying ingredient in place of glycerine because it is cheaper and more readily absorbed through the skin. The Material Safety Data Sheet for propylene glycol warns workers handling this chemical to avoid skin contact.

Quaternary Ammonium Compounds (Quats) - Listed on labels as benzalkonium chloride, cetrimonium bromide, quaternium-15 and quaternium 1-29, these compounds are caustic and can irritate the eyes. Quaternium-15 is a formaldehyde releaser and the number one cause of preservative-related contact dermatitis. There is concern about their potential as sensitizers. For about 5% of people, quats are an extreme sensitizer and can cause a variety of asthma-like symptoms, even respiratory arrest. When they are used with hot running water, steam increases the inhalation of vapours. These compounds are used in a wide range of products as preservatives, surfactants and germicides. They make hair and skin feel softer immediately after use but long-term use will cause dryness.

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate - This chemical is a known skin irritant and enhances allergic response to other toxins and allergens. The U.S. government has warned manufacturers of unacceptable levels of dioxin formation in some products containing this ingredient. The chemical can react with other ingredients to form cancer-causing nitrosamines. Sodium lauryl sulfate is used as a lathering agent. It is present in ninety per cent of commercial shampoos, as well as skin creams and some brands of toothpaste.
Sodium laureth sulfate may be contaminated with 1,4-dioxane, a carcinogen. Dioxane readily penetrates the skin. While dioxane can be removed from products easily and economically by vacuum stripping during the manufacturing process, there is no way to determine which products have undergone this process. Labels are not required to list this information.

Talc - Talc is a naturally occurring mineral which is carcinogenic when inhaled. In addition, women who regularly use talc in the genital area are at increased risk for ovarian cancer. Airborne talc in body powders and antiperspirant sprays can irritate the lungs. Talcum powder is reported to cause coughing, vomiting, and even pneumonia. Many pediatricians now tell parents to avoid using talc on babies as it can cause respiratory distress, sometimes resulting in death. Talc is found in blushes, face powders, eye shadows, liquid foundation and skin fresheners. Used near the eyes, it can irritate sensitive mucous membranes. Talc in liquid formulations poses minimal risk.

[This message has been edited by gryphon (edited August 10, 2006).]
Posted by: Curtise

Re: Hydrolatum - tried it - 08/10/06 11:03 AM

Wow!
We're all doomed, but - wow!

Thanks gryphon (sorry, gave you a capital G before!) and please don't feel that you're wasting your time passing on this information and highlighting these concerns. If people don't know, they can't make informed choices, and I for one think that's really important.

[This message has been edited by Curtise (edited August 10, 2006).]

Re: Hydrolatum - tried it - 08/10/06 02:33 PM

Now for the question on petrolatum/mineral oil. I’ve already mentioned in an earlier post above what to google if you want info on the problem of petrolatum trapping toxins in the body by blocking pores. In addition here are the reasons why petrolatum is a toxicity concern in itself and measures the European Union has taken to restrict its use in cosmetics. First a recent newspaper article that addresses petrolatum and other toxins. (It mentions AHA’s but remember with Ich skin we are dealing with very thick skin that needs to be stripped. Nonetheless this is why AHA’s should not be used on sensitive baby skin, thin skin, and only in low concentrations on the face). BTW the Ottawa Citizen is one of the leading and most reputable newspapers in Canada and the primary newspaper in its National Capital Region

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=9e5a72a9-d392-4516-9c6d- 551716cf9964&p=3

Next is the toxicity status of petrolatum, which also mentions restrictions (based on purity) on its use in lotions outside North America.

http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep2/report.php?type=INGREDIENT&id=455

This site has an express “green-agenda” so I’m reluctant to post it but nonetheless it concisely explains the problem with petrolatum (and parabens etc.)

http://ecomall.com/greenshopping/skin.htm

This site also has an “green-agenda” but again it does a decent job of addressing recent regulatory action and consideration of petrolatums in cosmetics

http://www.health-report.co.uk/petroleum_petrolatum_health_concerns.htm

Finally this is a petroleum industry report that deals with petrolatum, and what the industry should do to protect itself from further regulation and consumer scrutiny. I’m including it because I think the paragraph title “Recent Regulatory Activity” and the 3 titled paragraphs that follow are interesting and pertinent. Read the whole report as it provides a window on the Petroleum industry (specifically Penreco) describing the problem with Petrolatum/mineral oil.

www.penreco.com/newsevents/tradearticles/NPRA2003_Pet_Regulations.pdf

And finally this is an informative piece on parabens and issues with regulation itself. A good read for anyone interested.
http://www.safecosmetics.org/newsroom/alt_med_mag_1_06.cfm

Rather than harp on this any further I think this now adequately addresses the issues of parabens, propylene glycol (aka PEG), petrolatum/mineral oil, and lanolin in lotions. Each parent or user should make an informed decision based on individual circumstances. I’m not telling anyone not to use these ingredients in ich care. Just be aware of what they are before you decide upon a product. I have several more links but rather than belabouring the point I leave it at that.

For JDS, though it is not a comprehensive listing, this is an article that tries to explain what ingredients in lotions do. It does not deal with toxicity. I've posted it before on this BB and so some of you may find it redundant.
http://www.skintherapyletter.com/2005/10.5/1.html

And for Curtise, there is no ‘political agenda’ or ‘statement of affiliation’ in the absence of capitals in my screenname. ;-)

I simply forgot to press ‘shift’ when hastily registering as a member. So no need to apologize for not using only lower case letters.

[This message has been edited by gryphon (edited August 10, 2006).]
Posted by: threerxli

Re: Hydrolatum - tried it - 08/10/06 10:32 PM

gryphon,
Please continue to write and respond on this board. Many parents and people concerned with ichthyosis do read the board. I believe that we all have different views and opinions, which make this board so unique. With different views, knowledge, study and research...we have come so far! Sometimes what we learn in the process of life teaches us more than we ever dreamed, and sometimes life sends us in a completely different direction than we would expect. This board is for everyone, and maybe, just maybe ANYONES knowledge will help someone at one time, even if it is only one person that this advice helps, isn't it worth it? This also would not be the first time a doctor was educated by a concerned patient or parent right???? (Regardless of your belief with this post.)

So please, everyone on this board...-do not discourage anyone from posting unless it is causing extreme harm. I also think we all know to do our own research, understand our own medical needs and values and check with a doctor, or trusted medical specialist. Just a thought.

Re: Hydrolatum - tried it - 08/11/06 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by threerxli:

So please, everyone on this board...-do not discourage anyone from posting unless it is causing extreme harm. I also think we all know to do our own research, understand our own medical needs and values and check with a doctor, or trusted medical specialist. Just a thought.

I hope you don't think my intentions were to discourage gryphon from posting. I did appreciate the information (actually, I believe I said that in my post) and my only intention was to explain that I wasn't tossing everything out...only the new cream that I was planning on using with my kids, head to toe, every day. I wanted to make it clear that I wasn't freaking out as I felt gryphon suggested. That was all.
Like gryphon said, tone is very hard to figure out via internet. This is one of the reasons I tend to lurk on most bb's. The first time you say something that might be questioning or critical, it comes off as an attack...tone is everything in communication and you can't get that on a bb. Please understand I had no ill intentions...simply didn't want everyone to think I was going on a mad rampage through my home to rid it from parabens LOL.
I did not read anything about the dangers of anything else because really, if you take ALL of the ingredients out that could potentially cause harm, you have nothing left.
Lisa

Re: Hydrolatum - tried it - 08/11/06 01:24 AM

Thanks for the kind words, threerxli. I was exhausted after a late evening at the time of my 1AM post. I wasn't making much sense even to myself. [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] But I did not mean to suggest that I was shying away from participating on this BB.

But so I make myself clearer, I *always* invite cordial disagreement on anything I post on this BB.

As for my posts in this thread, I’m not advocating the validity of any of the info. Rather this is just stuff I’ve come across when researching the ingredients in my own lotions (I'm like an online squirrel constantly burying interesting tidbits of info I find 'in' my hard drive to dig up later if I need it). However, I have not found any academic research proving or disproving much of it. That’s why I expressed a reluctance to post. I was expressing a personal reluctance to posting these specific claims about certain lotion ingredients. Because I have not come across any info or discussion on these issues in the ich community or unbiased medical circles, I did not want to monger fear or concern on this BB.

This knowledge did make me look at my lotions differently. It did not however make me look at the objectives of my ich care any differently. So I just put it out there, leaving it for anyone who cares to read it to either accept or dismiss, substantiate or dispute.
Posted by: Andrea Grobe

Re: Hydrolatum - tried it - 09/05/06 07:43 PM

Please read my new post regarding Arbonne's products. Mineral oil is definitely the worst thing to put on skin. It initially feels great but it acts like a plastic sheeting to one's skin, leaching out essential nutrients and blocks anything from getting in that you want to. Arbonne's baby oil (natural oils) have been a Godsend to me and I would love to send you a sample! I have suffered from this awful skin condition my whole life and I have for the 1st time found some relief! You can send a personal e-mail to me too at andreagrobe@sbcglobal.net

Hope I can be of some help!

All the best,
Andrea
Posted by: CoolCattyMatty

Re: Hydrolatum - tried it - 09/05/06 08:14 PM

FYI: For those of you wanting to stay away from parabens - they are in arbonne products.

Re: Hydrolatum - tried it - 09/06/06 06:11 AM

That's sort of what we're looking for...we use Aquaphor not as a moisturizer (well, partly as a moisturizer) but mostly as a barrier layer, b/c Julia's lacking that b/c of NS. She always needs some sort of buffer over her skin...I'm just worried b/c the Arbonne page only listed key ingredients, and not the inactive ones, and sometime lactic acid is an inactive ingredient and something we DEFINATELY have to stay away from.