Suggestion on how i can raise money to get to the Conference

Posted by: skittles71

Suggestion on how i can raise money to get to the Conference - 03/21/06 06:34 PM

Hello everyone I was wanting to see if anyone had any suggestions on how i can raise money to go to the confernce in Alanta.I really want to go but its just something thats not really a have to thing and we cant let a bill go so that I could go there.Im in driving distance so that I want have to worry with its the hotel and all the rest.And what little I make at preschool is'nt enough.But if anyone has an idea what i can do please let me know.Thanks Alot !!!!
Posted by: Hearsay

Re: Suggestion on how i can raise money to get to the Conference - 03/21/06 09:38 PM

If I remember correctly, FIRST has some funds available to help people like you, at least with the event cost. As for driving, given gas prices, it may be cheaper for you to check Southwest.com to see if you can get cheaper airfare. They often have tickets for $34 or $59 one way as specials T-W-Th. You can book travel anytime from 2 weeks to 6 months from the day you book. And with the hotel stay, maybe you can double up with someone. Again, call/email Jean or Maureen at FIRST.
Posted by: shandra

Re: Suggestion on how i can raise money to get to the Conference - 03/21/06 09:49 PM

Do a fundraiser. I have found a lot of neat ideas for fundraising. We are actually going to be setting one up soon in our area, but it is for F.I.R.S.T all monies will be given to them for research or whatever other things they can put it to.
Posted by: thehodgees

Re: Suggestion on how i can raise money to get to the Conference - 03/22/06 03:45 AM

Kathy, my girl!
I must say I am SOOO proud of you right now! The power of this group will make it happen...
So, here's some ideas...
Spring has Sprung means garage sale in our part of the world...I am sure it means the same for your part. We are planning a big one to help with our costs in early May. I am planning on putting an ad in the local paper and stating that "All proceeds go towards attending a medical conference for our daughter, Ema."
Second, ebay! I have a friend that sold "lightly used" clothes, in bundles, and made something like $200 bucks!!! It was mostly Old Navy and Gap stuff that friends had given her daughter for gifts. I guess that stuff sells like HOT CAKES!
Third, like Erin suggested, what are you a member of? I noticed your email address is "gym mom." Could this be a good place for a Gymnastics-a-thon? Kids would love it and, again, all proceeds go towards you and your boys getting to Atlanta.
Kathy, keep in mind, you are not asking for money to get a big screen TV, or a new Porche...you are a mom in need and we need YOU at this conference (and the boys too!) I want to give you a full-fledged hug...just like all the other moms that post on this board. We all have a special bond and we all need to find the means of getting there.
Love,
Sarah
P.S. I have NEVER had a garage sale before in my life. I normally wouldn't even go to one but I WANT TO GET THERE and $1500 is not in our single-income budget either.