Halloween

Posted by: Laura Phillips

Halloween - 10/30/00 02:42 PM

I haven't thought about this in years, but for some reason it just popped into my mind...

When I was in grade school (K through 5th grade), there was a book in the school library on how to make yourself really good halloween costumes. I remember paging through it one day, and thinking, 'wow, alot of this stuff is really cool looking.' And then coming to a costume for ichthyosis! No lie--it had a recipe with oatmeal and other stuff to spread all over your face, neck and hands and said something like this being one of the scariest costumes you could do!

I never said anything to anyone about it being there...but every once in a while I'd go pull it out and look at it, kind of still in awe and shock that it was there. I think it was the first time I'd ever seen ichthyosis included in any way in anything (book, magazine, whatever) other than some medical tome, and I couldn't believe it was in the context of a scary halloween costume!

Now, that gets thinking of more stuff [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] Did you guys see the X-Files episode where one of the characters had ichthyosis? I thought that was kind of cool, in terms of raising awarenes...but it still made ichthyosis out to be something really terrible.

Oh well...random ramblings. Anyone else have any experiences with ichthyosis and halloween?
Posted by: Glori

Re: Halloween - 10/30/00 04:43 PM

Oh my god, that X-Files episode nearly put me over the edge! I was really pissed about it, but not as pissed as when it was featured on another TV show.
Now I can't remember the name, but it was a short-lived TV show waaaay back in the very early 80's or late 70's, it starred Bess Armstrong, and it was about a husband and wife team that were TV writers.
They wanted to give their lead character a really bad disease or something, and one guy said something like cancer, and Bess Armstrong said "No, something really gross and nasty like Ichthyosis". As a child, I was just horrified because I didn't think I had something gross or nasty.
Apparently this was a stupid enough statement that the FIRST publication at the time quoted in their newsletter, I remember being happy that someone else had seen it and been pissed off too [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]
Posted by: Nikkster

Re: Halloween - 10/31/00 03:31 AM

Hi Guys,

I've never seen that episode of X-Files, nor have I seen a book like you described. That is just awful that they could depict our skin condition in such a negative light. If I ever see that episode, I'll write to the producers and tell them what they can do with their story line!
Posted by: Carly

Re: Halloween - 10/31/00 12:37 PM

I have heard about the episode of the X-files where they had a character who was supposed to have Ichthyosis...apparently he was a member of the freaky Jim Rose's Circus (you know the one with members that have piercings everywhere and make themselves bleed as forms of art?).it is very degrading to depict such conditions the way media has.

Laura, i was really saddened to hear the story about the halloween book...that is awful..i remember being in primary school and using PVA glue, the kids would say it looks like my skin when it dried on their skin. I was also surprised that ichthyosis is so recognised to even be "linked" to a halloween costume...in Australia I have hardly come across the term, other than from doctors. People usually say, "itchy what?".

Carly
Posted by: sonia

Re: Halloween - 10/31/00 04:15 PM

Just to get my two pence worth in, I think it's completely out of order, especially when Aiesha comes home from school and tell me that the kids say she has "old people' skin".

Sonia
Posted by: James

Re: Halloween - 11/02/00 02:40 AM

Funny you should mention this. I think about this ever halloween. Once a waiter at a fast food chain told me that i had the best halloween costume he had ever seen. How did I do it? I said it was easy i was born like that.To make maters worse other people then started staring at me.That has stuck with me for ever. Then once at the door giving out candy one little kid said look mommey that man dressed up to.(sometimes life is tuff)
james
QUOTE]Originally posted by Laura Phillips:
I haven't thought about this in years, but for some reason it just popped into my mind...

When I was in grade school (K through 5th grade), there was a book in the school library on how to make yourself really good halloween costumes. I remember paging through it one day, and thinking, 'wow, alot of this stuff is really cool looking.' And then coming to a costume for ichthyosis! No lie--it had a recipe with oatmeal and other stuff to spread all over your face, neck and hands and said something like this being one of the scariest costumes you could do!

I never said anything to anyone about it being there...but every once in a while I'd go pull it out and look at it, kind of still in awe and shock that it was there. I think it was the first time I'd ever seen ichthyosis included in any way in anything (book, magazine, whatever) other than some medical tome, and I couldn't believe it was in the context of a scary halloween costume!

Now, that gets thinking of more stuff [img]http://www.ichthyosis.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] Did you guys see the X-Files episode where one of the characters had ichthyosis? I thought that was kind of cool, in terms of raising awarenes...but it still made ichthyosis out to be something really terrible.

Oh well...random ramblings. Anyone else have any experiences with ichthyosis and halloween?

[/QUOTE]
Posted by: Shane's mom

Re: Halloween - 11/07/00 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Laura Phillips:

When my son Shane was first born and still in the NICU, I was watching All My Children and 2 women were fighting.(Go figure!) Anyway 1 of the women was talking to another and said that she wished this person she didn't like would have all her hair fall out, loose all her teeth, become deaf and blind, and have severely chronic skin condition. I thought to myself - Hey, I know what thats called! My heart breaks for all of you who have been hurt by ignorance. I just can't imagine how that must make an adult feel let alone a child.

Re: Halloween - 11/08/00 02:45 AM

Some people are so cruel...they really do not know the impact of some of their words.

Carly

Re: Halloween - 11/08/00 02:46 AM

Some people are so cruel...they really do not know the impact of some of their words.

Carly
Posted by: Lisa Z

Re: Halloween - 11/10/00 11:18 PM

I remember Halloween as a fun time because I could hide behind the mask. Then once someome said I had a great costume & how did I do it. I was probably polite like I always am, but I refuse to answer the door at Halloween because of the stares & comments. John has to do it by himself, it's the only time the stares & comments bother me.